Political Rift Brews In Kano As SSG Distances Himself From Anti-Kwankwaso Campaign

G

George Oshogwe Ogbolu

Abba-da-Kwankwaso

Abdullahi Baffa Bichi, the Secretary to the Kano State Government (SSG), has publicly distanced himself from a campaign aimed at driving a wedge between Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and the leader of the Kwankwasiyya movement, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.​

Naija News reports that the campaign, allegedly linked to Bichi, has been calling for the governor’s independence from the influence of Kwankwaso.

Following a closed-door meeting with Governor Yusuf and leaders of the Kwankwasiyya movement, Bichi made it clear that he has no involvement with the group behind the campaign.

“Governor Yusuf is already my boss, and I have since submitted myself and all my activities to him. All that he wants is what I will abide with,” Bichi stated.

For months, a faction within the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) and the Kwankwasiyya movement has been using social media and radio platforms to urge Governor Yusuf to “stand on his feet” (Abba Tsaya da Kafarka) and assert his authority.

This group claims that Kwankwaso, who leads the Kwankwasiyya movement, has wielded undue influence over Governor Yusuf, controlling key decisions, including projects and appointments.

According to a member of the faction, Comrade Nura Gambo Rimingata, Kwankwaso’s influence undermines the democratic process.

Governor Yusuf should be allowed to manage the affairs of the state without interference, as he is the one voted to power by the people,” Rimingata argued.

He further alleged that Kwankwaso and his close associates have already laid the groundwork for a new political structure, selecting potential candidates for the governorship, deputy governorship, and even the SSG position for the 2027 elections.

However, these claims were swiftly rejected by a key aide to Governor Yusuf, Alhajiji Nagoda, who accused the faction of sowing division within the NNPP.

He defended Kwankwaso’s role, saying, “We can’t suffer for eight good years struggling to come to power, only to have some detractors now mobilizing people to push Governor Yusuf against our leader, Kwankwaso.”

The tensions have drawn broader commentary from political analysts. Professor Kamilu Sani Fagge, a renowned political analyst from Bayero University, Kano, pointed to the lack of internal democracy and ideological coherence within political parties as a root cause of such conflicts.

“Political parties are not established based on any party ideology and they lack internal democracy. They are just a collection of individuals with varying views coming together to take over government,” Professor Fagge noted.

He further emphasized that the commercialization of politics has exacerbated these internal divisions, with political positions often seen as avenues for personal financial gain.

Meanwhile, NNPP has officially announced the suspension of Abdullahi Baffa Bichi, and the Commissioner of Transportation, Muhammad Diggol.

The suspension was confirmed by the State Party Chairman, Hashim Sulaiman Dungurawa, during an interview with Daily Trust late Monday.

This announcement follows the circulation of an audio clip in which Dungurawa revealed the decision, which has since gone viral.

According to Dungurawa, the duo was suspended due to allegations of disloyalty, abuse of power, and for creating chaos within the party ranks.

The Chairman expressed that the actions of Bichi and Diggol were detrimental to the party’s cohesion and effectiveness, necessitating their suspension.

The post Political Rift Brews In Kano As SSG Distances Himself From Anti-Kwankwaso Campaign appeared first on Naija News.

Back