Wike Can Not Decide Next Gov For Edo State – PDP’s Ighodalo Declares

R

Richard Ogunsile

Wike Can Not Decide Next Gov For Edo State - PDP's Ighodalo Declares

The governorship candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo State, Asue Ighodalo, has declared that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, lacks the authority to influence the selection of the state’s next governor.​

Naija News reports that on September 21, Edo citizens are expected to converge at their different polling units to decide their next governor.

However, Wike, a former Governor of Rivers State, recently claimed to have informed Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki that he would not support Ighodalo in the upcoming governorship election scheduled for September 21.

Wike made this revelation during the Friday edition of Channels Television Politics Today program, where he mentioned that Obaseki had brought his political protégé to solicit his backing for the upcoming election.

Wike expressed his astonishment at the Edo PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, who recently requested the Independent National Electoral Commission to reassign the State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Anugbum Onuoha, just days before the election, citing his connections to Wike.

The INEC REC, who is also Wike’s first cousin, previously served as his special adviser on lands during Wike’s tenure as governor of Rivers.

“When Obaseki brought Ighodalo to my house two times to support him, they did not know the REC was my cousin. It is just today that they know that he (Onuoha) is my cousin. That is the problem I have with this country.

“I told them (Obaseki and Ighodalo) when they came to see me that I’m not going to support Ighodalo. Neither am I going to support anybody. The one I supported never helped anything, but rather I was insulted,
” Wike had stated.

Reacting on the same media platform, Ighodalo expressed disappointment in the position of the FCT minister, saying that wasn’t exactly the outcome of the meeting he had earlier with him.

Only God And People With PVC Can Decide Next Governor Of Edo State​

The PDP candidate maintained that the outcome of the September 21 election would be decided by the Edo people and not by Wike or any other political figure in the country.

He said, “Sometimes when gentlemen talk in some kind of privacy or arrangements, we don’t voice out what has been said. But it is not correct that (former) Governor Wike said he wasn’t going to support us. That’s incorrect. However, events may have overtaken his decision at that point, and he is free to change his mind.

“I believe, as a gentleman, he would adhere to the word he gave me. But if he changed his mind, so be it. When he and I spoke, we deliberated on issues around fair governance and how we can create a better country and Edo State. At the end of the day, we ended the conversation at a point where Wike said he would mind his business, and Edo State is not part of his business.

“Again, if he has decided to change his mind, that’s fine. But the decision as to who becomes the next governor of Edo State is the decision of the people. It is not his or anybody else’s to make.

“Whether you are a governor or a minister, it is only Edo citizens and residents who have their PVCs who can take that decision with the support of God Almighty. I fear no man. I only fear God.”

Ighodalo further mentioned that he would concede defeat and congratulate the winner if his party lost the political contest.

The PDP candidate, however, expressed optimism that he would defeat his political opponents.

“Honestly, if we lose this election and we know we’ve lost it fairly and squarely, I will be the first to concede. But I know we can’t lose this election if there is a level playing field for everybody.

“We have related with the people of Edo State and told them what we plan to do for them. They trust us and will vote for us. All the polls and indicators (seen so far) support us. So I have no fear,”
he stated.

The post Wike Can Not Decide Next Gov For Edo State – PDP’s Ighodalo Declares appeared first on Naija News.

Back